PROJECT: Training and Demonstration Program for Integral Development in the river valleys of Cañete, Asia, Oyón (Dept.of Lima) and Fortaleza (Dept. of Huaraz)
This integrated community development program utilized local organizations and Productive Networks to design and implement participatory projects in 40 communities of these four river valleys in the Departments of Lima and Ancash.
ECONOMIC RESULTS:Increase in the productivity of the agricultural sector
- Families adopted technology to improve the production and management of guinea pigs, rabbits and black-belly sheep
- Improved family incomes from use of rotation of guinea pig breeding stock in Cañete Valley
- Model farms created in areas accessible for many other families to duplicate
- Families of Asia and Fortaleza valleys sharing their technologies on their own initiative
- Improvement in production of avocados, grapes and other fruits through the use of grafting techniques in the Fortaleza and Cañete valleys
Facilitating basic nutrition and commercialization services
- Families improving the nutrition of children through the implementation of family gardens for growing vegetables and herbs
- Trained Health Promoters promoting health campaigns and operating mobile clinics to extend their services beyond the project areas
Families transforming their surplus production for cash sales through the organization of promotion of local and regional fairs and competitions
The family guinea pig projects were visited by institutions, producers, university students, NGOs, etc. to learn about the experiences of these family businesses. Many of these successful farms are now used by the ICA staff to share their successful methods of production with people from all over Peru who study in the ICA Formation Center in Azpitia.
COMMUNITY RESULTS: Facilitating organized participation and consensus
- 40 communities were involved with ample local leadership
- Families were committed to participate in their own development through Community Forums
- Organization and promotion of the Association of Producers of Small Animals (ACAM) in the Lunahuana area
- Collaboration of local authorities, community leaders, adults and youth in many projects to improve the irrigation infrastructure
Facilitating the interchange of learnings and experiences
- Expansion of the productive capacity of local producers through the active interchange of learnings between local farms
- Families adopting the production methods they observed in numerous visits to universities, institutes and other demonstration farms
The organizing and execution of 3 regional interchange events plus a national convention of the production chain of small animals with over 400 participants in Lunahuana with the support of ICA-Perú
With the necessary tools and the will to succeed, local people can make substantial changes in the wellbeing of their families and community.
Key Learnings for Successful Projects of Self-Development:
- The importance of creating production leaders who have the passion to improve the quality of life for their families and community
- To form leaders with the mentality of the “Power to Change” in order to avoid dependency, the bureaucratic mindset, poverty of spirit and other negative attitudes that limit their ability to overcome any obstacle
- Work initially with women, who are the pillars of the community and can bring about the needed changes in their husbands and children, and become excellent leaders in the community
- The importance that the producer feels identified and committed to the project and to the activities required to develop the project
- It is critical that the producer visit and explore the final markets for his products and knows the needs of the final buyers
- The effectiveness of promotional events for the marketing of products through sampling and sales at local and regional fairs, competitions, exhibitions, etc.
- Secure the market with products of consistent quality which will be the best means to spreading your business to other buyers
- Don’t commit to a large order until you have the capacity to meet the demand, as your reputation as a reliable supplier is very important
- Feedback on your products is very important which you can get from visits with clients, conferences and other events of interchange.
Community change begins with a few innovative leaders. Their formation and support will bring about change in the entire community.